The Girault Lab is a research laboratory broadly focused on the study of neurodevelopmental disorders in children. Specifically, the lab focuses on inheritance of behavioral, brain, and genetic traits within families of children with autism and other gene-based neurodevelopmental disorders. The Girault lab is housed in the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities in the UNC School of Medicine.
Please use the tabs at the top of the page to learn more about our work.
CIDD Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities (CIDD) serves individuals with neurodevelopmental conditions and their families by providing high quality, evidence-based clinical care, conducting cutting-edge research, and training health service professionals. At the CIDD, we recognize that neurodiverse individuals have myriad racial, ethnic, gender, religious, and other identities; this diversity is one of our community’s many strengths, and we seek to understand and highlight it. Alongside the UNC School of Medicine, we are committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive, non-discriminatory, and anti-racist environment for all individuals and families we serve, as well as for our trainees, faculty, staff, and community partners. At CIDD, we commit to the following:
- Condemning discrimination, hatred, prejudice, and microaggressions, while promoting respect, compassion, and inclusivity.
- Working to uncover our own biases, to hold ourselves accountable, and to make positive changes.
- Providing high quality, culturally sensitive clinical services.
- Conducting research that represents the needs and experience of diverse populations and promotes health equity.
- Promoting cultural and linguistic responsiveness among our faculty, staff, and trainees.
- Listening and learning on an ongoing basis.
The CIDD considers the individuals and families we serve, our trainees, faculty, staff, and community partners to be members of our inclusive CIDD family. We value your perspectives and input and welcome feedback regarding our practices.